Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Breaking News...Little Sister Is Here ~ 12.12.11

OK, that subject line is VERY tongue in cheek.  By now you ALL know that Little Sister was born into this world on November 4, 2011.  I have been remiss in writing a final missive for a few reasons.  #1 - there is hardly ever a free string of 10 minutes to piece together to write a well thought out e-mail, #2 - I guess I haven't made myself sit down to commit to (electronic) pen and paper my thoughts about childbirth and becoming a parent.  "It's deep" is the simplest thing to say.  But, as I approach my sixth and final week (yes, I am still counting weeks) of maternity leave, I figure I better do this now or else it will never get done. 

So, you've all heard (if you're on Facebook) about the physical aspects of Little Sister's entrance (i.e. the Ring of Fire), but beyond that, I can honestly say it was the most intense experience of my life.  I cannot get the image out of my mind of seeing her for the very first time.  Thinking back, it still has an out of body feel to me (it may be because it was at 5:30a and I was feeling a bit delusional).  I was there, obviously, but I feel like my mind is still processing the enormity of it all.  Her little crooked smile, her coal black eyes, her slick hair; she was the most beautiful little baby I'd ever seen and I gave birth to HER.  As I reflect on that moment, I'll say two things, to which you may disagree, but hey, that's OK too.  #1 - an atheist has never given birth; and #2 if men gave birth, there would be no war.  I say #1 because I am still in awe of the childbearing process.  To think that what started off as a teeny tiny ball of cells grew and developed into a living, breathing, squirming, crying, eating, sleeping and pooping human being is beyond my comprehension.  The only plausible explanation is God.  I state #2 because having gone through this process, I have a new found appreciation for the HARD WORK that goes into bringing a child into being and a better understanding of the frailty of life.  As someone who has worked in the field of public health for years, I had an awareness of infant and maternal mortality issues, but going through this process has heightened my sensitivity to the challenges that exist in bringing a healthy baby to bear.  I think if men had to undergo this process, they would think twice about declaring war and taking life.  On a practical level, this is hard work and I think there would be more thoughtful consideration of taking a life if one had gone through the arduous experience of bearing life.  I don't know, these are just my random musings on life, birth, and my beautiful baby girl.  :-)

So, we're now one month in with Little Sister (she's named after Big Sister) and are enjoying the ride.  I have enjoyed being home with her these past 5 weeks and am so sad to see that my maternity leave is winding down.  My days have been spent feeding, burping, changing, listening to her 'coo' and snuggling with my little pumpkin.  She still hasn't figured out the whole day/night thing, so night time can be a little brutal, but we're hanging in there.  Mommy was here the first few weeks to "show me the ropes" of caring for her and will be back at Christmas to check on my progress.  :-)  I've made up lots of songs lately to keep her amused and distracted.  I've made up a song about the name "Little Sister" the words seem to change with every version, so send me your suggestions on words that rhyme with "Little Sister."  I also have a pretty solid ditty about poopy-poopy diapers, which I think she likes.  :-)  And I just overheard Daddy-O singing to her about being "poop free" while changing her diaper, so watch out Rodgers and Hammerstein, we may be the next great American songwriting duo.  Lots of folks have commented on how fast this time goes by, so I am savoring every moment...from her sweet, sweet cooing, to the the late nite feedings, to the poopy diapers to her first hint of a smile to me yesterday.

By the way, Skip is fine.  We now call him Officer Skip because he is quite protective of the baby.  When I'm feeding her, he sits at my feet on the ready, prepared to take on anyone who tries to get near us.  Recently, I was watching TV and a commercial came on that included a baby's cry.  Skip immediately jumped up, trotted over to Little Sister's crib. got on his hind legs to peer in on her and when he realized that she was asleep and was not crying, he went back to his bed and relaxed.  So, he's adjusting to it all and I can't wait until she gets a bit older and can play with him.

By the way, I probably won't be posting a lot of pictures of Little Sister on Facebook.  Although you guys know that I totally love the internet and FB, I am leery about putting her image out there too much.  I know her cuteness needs to be shared, but FB and the internet is like the wild wild west and once I send it, there's no control over who sees it (despite what we may think about FB's "privacy" settings).  So, I'll probably stick with e-mailing her picture or sending pix via text message.  You can never be too careful...

So, Daddy-O and I thank you all for your words of encouragement, support, advice and gifts.  We know the real work is just beginning, but I can't thank you enough for the love and support you showed me during my pregnancy.  It was an experience that I will carry forever in my heart, but I can honestly say that I am sooooo glad to be done with running to the potty every 5 minutes, heartburn, gestational diabetes, leg cramps, m.i.a. appetite, waddling (instead of walking) and a jacked-up back.  As we approach Christmas, I find myself reflecting on James 1:17 {Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.}...Little Sister is the most amazing gift with which I have ever been blessed and I am eternally thankful to God for blessing us with her.  What a blessing!!!
Much love,
Tshombe...and Little Sister :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment