Sunday, April 29, 2012

Food, Glorious Food!

I have found that since Little Sister's arrival, finding time to cook and eat has become one of life's little luxuries.  But, as I've posted before, I have to take care of myself so that I can take care of her.  During the week, I find that I usually grab a bocadillo or paella from one of my favorite spots or eat a bowl of cereal and call it a night.  During the weekend, I do indulge my culinary skills to whip up something creative for me and Daddy-O.  Since I'm always on the lookout to find dishes that are easy to prepare, yet pack a nutritional punch, I have recently discovered quinoa (pronounced keen-wah).  I think this is the tastiest export ever from Bolivia.  If you haven't checked out this superfood, you must do so soon.  It's high in protein and fiber, and has a warm, nutty flavor.  Contrary to popular belief, it is not a grain, but closely related to the spinach and beet family...go figure.  It's the perfect side dish, but since it pairs so well with meats and veggies, it can also be the main course.  It can be prepared savory or sweet; served hot or cold; it's extremely versatile.

This past weekend, I whipped up two great meals for some specials friends.  With Daddy-O as my sous chef to prep the onions, tomatoes and garlic, cooking time was minimal.  Check out the recipes below.

Blackened Tilapia with Wilted Spinach & Grape Tomatoes

Quinoa with Satuéed Onions & Garlic
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water or chicken broth
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large vidalia onion
3 cloves garlic
salt & pepper to taste
  1. Bring quinoa and water/broth to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
  2.  While quinoa is cooking, chop onion into thin slivers.  Mince garlic.  Sautée both in olive oil until the onions are translucent and the garlic is starting to brown. 
  3. Once quinoa has absorbed all of the water, stir in sautéed onion & garlic mixture.

Pan Seared Halibut 
2 - 8oz fillets of halibut
1 lemon
olive oil
Carolina Seafood Blend from The Fresh Market
  1. Place halibut (skin side up) in a shallow bowl.  Squeeze lemon on top.  Add olive oil.  Add Carolina Seafood Blend seasoning.  Let marinate for 15 minutes.
  2. Heat olive oil in pan.  Sear halibut flesh side down for 3-4 minutes.  Flip over and sear skin side down for 3-4 minutes.  
  3. Add marinade to the pan.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Fish is ready to serve when it's easy to flake with a fork.

Blackened Tilapia with Wilted Spinach & Grape Tomatoes
4 fillets of tilapia
Blackened Seasoning
1 bag baby spinach
1 thinly sliced shallot
one small crate grape tomatoes - cut in half
  1. Place tilapia in shallow bowl.  Squeeze one lemon on top.  Season with blackened seasoning.  Let marinate for 5 - 10 minutes.  Do not let it marinate for too long, or else you'll end up with ceviche because tilapia is so thin.
  2. In a nice sized pan, pan sear the tilapia in olive oil.  If necessary, pan sear the pieces in separate batches, but in the end, all pieces should be layered in the pan.
  3. In a separate pan, sautée shallots in olive oil.  Add bag of baby spinach and sautée until slightly wilted.
  4. Add spinach to pan of blackened tilapia.  Add grape tomatoes to tilapia & spinach.
  5. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Bon Appétit

2 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious. I discovered Quinoa about two months ago. It's perfect on a salad as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will DEFINITELY try these recipes! Thanks for leading me to this blog! :)

    ReplyDelete