Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Where there's a will...



The old adage goes, "Where there's a will, there's a way."  Lately, I've been thinking a lot about this saying for several reasons.  Since we're winding down the season of Lent, I'm reflecting on God's will for my life.  The Lord's Prayer states, "...Thy will be done," which is a line that I've pondered numerous times as I've dealt with life's numerous twists, turns, ups and downs.  I'm ever so grateful that His will was to bless me with this amazing little girl.

But, I also interpret the word "will" in a more literal sense, such as making one's wishes known for what to do upon your passing.  I've recently been privy to one family's "drama" that has arisen when an elder passed, yet did not make provisions for how their affairs were to be handled.  Unfortunately, grief, strife and family schisms have resulted from efforts to settle matters.  The thought, "where there's a will, there's a way," keeps playing over and over in my head because if there was a will, there would have been a way to resolve these matters while preserving family bonds.

Along these same lines, it is important to let your family and loved ones know what end of life decisions you would like made in the event that you become incapacitated.  Advance directives (also referred to as living wills) express how you want to be treated if you are seriously ill and unable to speak for yourself.  Making your wishes known prevents a possible show down between loved ones who feel that it's in their best interest to advocate for you, but may not be in agreement regarding what to do.

Please remember, you don't have to be as wealthy as Donald Trump or Oprah Winfrey to execute a will.  And completing a living will is free!  Your doctor should be able to provide you with the necessary forms.  Or, for a small free you can find generic forms at Five Wishes

But, I guess the most important thing to remember is the importance of communication.  Talking about end-of-life issues and money are two of the most difficult topics to discuss.  But, honest conversations beforehand can prevent unnecessary problems at a time of mourning.  As my mother has made abundantly clear to her kids, "Do not stand over my bed discussing when to pull the plug!"  She sometimes says it in a comical manner, but she has made sure that we're clear about her wishes.  And that's the most important thing.

P.S. As I was looking for resources for the blog post, I learned that April 16 is National Healthcare Decisions Day.  The website is a fantastic resource!

No comments:

Post a Comment